Sunday, March 9, 2014

Saving Daylight



I caught sight of it as I passed the window yesterday
down the driveway thick with mud and gathered puddles
Three birds in silhouette
the afternoon sun flooding them from behind
taking a bath

My lips curled skyward
and I stood motionless
for five whole minutes
Because
the audacity

The day before that
you pretended to be Huck playing in the bulrushes
and you brought me handfuls of cat tail fluff
my palms opened to the offering
and you glowed

The dark earth, moist with thaw
has begun its heaving heavenward
pushed from below
until, split open like the body
it becomes broken

Then, today
I turned that last corner out of the woods
and came up on the lake
glimmering with a thousand
salvos of light

And I'm clutching all of it
with an unbecoming fierceness
hell bent on gathering glory
as if it wasn't raining
right round









2 comments:

  1. Amy's word is best - glorious! Thank you, Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley Tolins LarkinMarch 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM

    Oh, Holly! Thank you...yes, what glory! What life. What truth. Ahh. I always find myself exhaling when I read your words.

    ReplyDelete