Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook

Outside my window... there is that late August haze that hangs heavy and low.  And despite the heat and the hypnotizing singing of the cicadas, there is still something that hints of Fall...

I am thinking... of a million things at once...of fixing dinner and tonight's meeting, of whether I can get by another day without doing laundry, of new chapter books that will capitivate and inspire, what the future holds...

I am thankful for... slow days and boys who need (and want!) hugs and a new "school year" and of all the possibilities that lie within...

From the learning rooms... is a little brother who is forging ahead with his reading lessons so that he can read along with (or maybe one day, ahead of) his older brother...

From the kitchen... are the attempts to pickle, preserve, pack up, and put away the excess from our garden that, despite its embarrassingly late start, is now kicking it into high gear...

I am wearing... shorts and a white shirt (why do I even try?), Tevas and my favorite blue beaded necklace (present from my boys)...

I am going... to planning meetings and friends' houses and...

I am reading... re-reading, that is... Jane Eyre and loving every minute of it.  Now I remember why I loved it so, years ago.

I am hoping... that the answers to my prayers for wisdom and discernment in several situations will settle on me gently, like a slow, healing rain...

I am hearing... the droning white noise of window a/c units--ones that haven't stopped whirring in weeks upon weeks.  I try, earnestly, to live in the moment but, ever so often, I indulge my weakness for crisp mornings and the smell of woodsmoke and I imagine the Autumn that is forthcoming...

Around the house... are piles of books, Nerf darts, grass clippings, lists...

One of my favorite things... is that first sip of coffee each morning.  Sometimes, I will just hold the mug right below my nostrils, taking in the aroma, reveling in that sweet, anticipatory moment of suspended revery right before I sip...

A few plans for the rest of the week... the gentle easing into some more formal learning routines (not exactly sure what that means around here but...) in order to push through some places in which we have been lingering too long...baking something just because I want to...planning meals for a friend...

A picture for a thought I am sharing...


a visual for what I want to create around here...

No comments:

Post a Comment